Monday 27 September 2010

Who? Surely you don't mean me...

What an incredible weekend full of family, much relaxation, and lots of laughter with sweet friends!

The "high" of my weekend is certainly the word that I heard while visiting Auburn United Methodist Church this morning with some friends. The message was something that landed on a very vulnerable part of my spirit- I was challenged, convicted, and too be honest- a little scared about what this truth could mean if I really applied it to my own life.

For the second time this week the Lord lead me to the story of Moses. This morning we landed in Exodus chapter 3. Ahh yes, The Burning Bush! The God of all creation spoke to a very reluctant Moses through a fire consumed piece of nature!

I found so many similarities between how Moses responds to God commands and how I respond-

In Chapter 3 beginning in verse 10-

"Come, I will send you to Pharaoh that you may bring my people, the children of Israel, out of Egypt. But Moses said to God, " Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh an bring the children of Israel out of Egypt? He said, "But I will be with you, and this shall be the sign for you, that I have sent you..."

and continued down in Chapter 4 verses 10-13

"But Moses said to the Lord, "Oh, my Lord, I am not eloquent, either in the past or since you have spoken to your servant, but I am slow of speech and of tongue. Then the Lord said to him, "Who has made man's mouth? Who makes him mute, or deaf, or seeing, or blind? Is it not I, the Lord? Now therefore go, and I will be with your mouth and teach you what you shall speak." But he said, "Oh, my Lord, please send someone else."


Well Moses took the words right out of my mouth.

How many times have I tried to tell the Lord how unprepared and unqualified I was for the call He has placed on my life?

How many times have I tried to remind the Lord that there are so many people that could do what I do better than I can?

How many times have I told the Lord to let somebody else do it because I just couldn't handle it?


Goodness gracious- I am guilty!!! So often I find myself thinking that I am just not smart enough to teach, eloquent enough to lead, or prepared enough to minister. I just don't feel like I have all that much to offer- especially compared to some of the incredible people that are placed around me in my life!

But God says to Moses ( and to us)- "Who made man's mouth?...Is it not I, the Lord?"

Talk about a wake up call...God says to us- It does not matter if we feel good enough or if we want to do this- We are called.


This morning the teacher reminded us that our God made us and knows us better than we know ourselves. He knows me-( the good, bad, and ugly)- and still chooses to use me as His vessel. Incredible.

He knows what an idiot I can be at times- how I don't always say the right things- that I am not the smartest girl in the world- that I don't have it all quite figured out yet- but He still chooses to call me and to use me. For His name's sake.


What makes this call even sweeter?
We are promised that when He calls he also equips.

He tells Moses in Ex. Ch 4 vs 12...
"Now therefore go, and I will be with your mouth and teach you what you shall speak."

We do not have to do this on our own or in our own power.
Trying to fulfill what God has called us to do in our own power is just asking for trouble.

We are to be obedient to our call and in unison allow God to be our mouth, ears, eyes- Be our everything.


I was able to share this passage and these thoughts with our girls in discipleship tonight- and I would like to challenge you- as I am challenging myself to do this-

Examine your life and ask-
What is the Lord calling me to do that I am tuning out?
What is the Lord calling me to do that I do not think I can handle?
Who am I trying to pass my calling off onto to?


I pray that each of our eyes are opened to ways in which the Lord is calling us that we have yet to be willing to listen to.

We will be called. It is up to us to determine the way that we will then answer.

Blog Archive